An average of two homes in Ireland are burgled each hour in Ireland. Burglaries can leave homeowners feeling unpleasant, frightened and emotionally vulnerable. Having valuables taken from you can leave you distraught and scared to be in your own home.
If your home has been burgled, it’s important to take the correct steps to ensure a smoother process after the incident. This can make a significant difference in any follow up procedures with the Gardaí and your insurance company.
Here are 5 tips which we recommend you should take heed of if you are a victim of a break in.
- Write down everything you remember to give to the Gardai: Shock can make us forget important details. That’s why it’s important that you write down as much as you can while waiting for the Gardai to arrive. Intruder descriptions, the direction the burglars went when running off and vehicle details can be significant when trying to catch the criminals.
- Take Pictures: Taking photos and videos of the scene can help you document any items that were taken. It is also important to keep records for your insurance company.
- Contact your insurance company: It’s best to contact your insurance company as soon as you can. Your insurance company will require you to share and submit all information that you gave to the Gardaí.
- Take time for yourself: A burglary can leave you feeling scared, unsafe and unsettled. That is why it is important to heal emotionally after the incident. Take some time to yourself to deal with the guards and your insurance company. Reach out and talk to someone if the emotional stress starts to affect your everyday living.
- Invest in Smart Home Security: Smart Home Security provides extra layers of security that is not offered by traditional alarms. The system is controlled through an app on your phone ensuring that you are notified the moment anything happens. In some cases this may give you time to react during a burglary. Our system is also professionally monitored meaning the Guards will be called if you or any of the listed contacts cannot verify why the system has been triggered. Smart Security systems also work off both broadband and GSM connection so the alarm continues to work even if the broadband line is down or has been cut.
Smartzone provides Ireland’s smartest, wireless alarm to give Irish homeowners the best, top of the range security. Our system works to ensure that your home is safe and secure at all times. If you have yet to consider home security and you are still unsure, you can speak to one of our Smartzone team members today on 0214966248, check out our website at www.smartzone.ie or fill out the form below and we will call you.