GIVE YOUR HOME A SECURITY & LIFE SAFETY ASSESSMENT
However, starting the wrong project can lead to a half-finished bathroom or worse. Quick and do-able is the order of the day. Our suggestion: give your home a virtual security, safety, and energy assessment.It’s an easy and will keep you active, improve your home in the long run, and give you peace of mind that your home and family are safer.
Not sure what a home security and safety overhaul looks like? Here’s a list of essential tasks.
CREATE AN EMERGENCY ACTION PLAN FOR YOUR FAMILY
If a fire broke out in your home, would everyone know what to do? Create a simple plan for emergencies to sure that they will. A good emergency plan includes:
- Where to meet in an emergency, and how to get there.
- Roles and responsibilities. For example, who dials for help?
- How to navigate specific hazards, such as smoke.
- Emergency contacts: who else will you alert?
Create, then practice different versions of your plan for a fire, a break-in and an extreme weather event. It is recommended that you practice twice a year.
If you’re a Smartzone customer, it’s easy to add a family member to your alerts as an emergency contact. And with professional monitoring, you won’t need to worry about dialing 999, Smartzone does that for you.
PRIORITISE GARDEN TASKS WITH SECURITY IN MIND
Take advantage of the spring weather to inspect your hedges, bushes and trees for security hazards. You’re looking for potential hiding spots that give intruders a place to lurk. Trim these areas until you have a direct line of sight to the street. Ideally, anyone in your front yard should be visible to you, your neighbors, and passers-by.
CONNECT WITH YOUR NEIGHBOURS ON SECURITY
Home security extends beyond your home. Teaming up with neighbors is one of the top home security measures you can take, and it’s easy to connect with neighbours digitally when you can’t meet in person.
Your neighbors can keep you informed about suspicious activity in the neighborhood and watch your home when you’re away by setting up a What’s App Group.
GIVE YOUR HOME SECURITY TECHNOLOGY A ONCE OVER
Is your current security system out of date and difficult to use? Spend some time researching smart home security; it’s the easiest way to protect your home. A good modern security system will include:
- A mobile app to control everything, see what’s going on, and stay connected to home.
- Professional monitoring for emergencies.
- The ability to add security devices like outdoor cameras, doorbell cameras, and smart door locks.
Smartzone Smart Security Systems include all of the above and more, with expert support at every step.
Take the time to talk to Smartzone and find a system that suits your family’s needs.
SHOW INTRUDERS HOW THEY ARE NOT WELCOME
Already have an Smartzone Smart Security System? Excellent work. But will an intruder know?
Burglars tend to take the path of least resistance and typically avoid homes with security systems. The more visible your system is, the more you’ll benefit. This means making sure that your security bell box is well placed and can be seen from the road.
Adding an outdoor security cameras help too and are a great deterrent, and provide another layer of security for your property.
Don’t have a branded bell box or signage for your security system? Contact Smartzone and we can help.
If you would like to get some advice why not book a Virtual Assessment with our Team, discuss what you need and get a professional quote free of charge. Call 021 4966248 now to book a slot.
GET YOUR LIGHTING SET UP AND IN SHAPE FOR THE SUMMER
You won’t always be at home—but you’ll always want potential intruders to think that you are. That’s why smart lights are an outdoor security essential. Ask Smartzone about motion-triggered and automated lights. They’re easy to add to your security system, and ensure that intruders won’t be able to hide in the dark.
For extra deterrence, ask us about Smartzone’s video analytics. This technology allows your security cameras to distinguish people from animals and vehicles, and trigger your outdoor lights accordingly. Find out more here.
EDUCATE YOUR KIDS ON SAFETY AT HOME
We teach our kids to stay safe in the outside world. You should also teach safety at home—especially to older kids who want to stay home alone when you’re out. Your kids should know:
- Never to post on social media that they’re home alone
- Never to answer the door to strangers
- How to lock up and arm the security system
- What to do if they smell smoke or discover an emergency
SET UP NEW ALERTS FOR HOME SAFETY
Smartzone’s smartphone alerts help you stay one step ahead of danger. To enhance your safety at home, set up the following:
- Geo-Services reminders: When you don’t leave home as often, it’s easy to make home security mistakes like forgetting to lock the door when you do. Our Geo-Services reminders use your location to alert you if you leave home with your security system disarmed or your door unlocked, so that you can secure the house remotely.
- Contact sensor alerts: If your kids are exploring the house more than usual, setting up alerts for doors and windows will let you know if they’re go places they aren’t supposed to, or leave entry points to your home unsecured.
- Unexpected Activity: these alerts look out for your family by letting you know when something happens that doesn’t match your home’s everyday activity patterns.
INSPECT YOUR SECURITY & LIFE SAFETY DEVICES
Did you test your smoke detectors when the clocks changed this spring? If not, now is the time.
Giving your home security and safety devices a quick inspection every few months helps to ensure that they’ll always be ready when you need them. Test your smoke detectors and clean your security cameras, using your mobile app’s live feeds to make sure their angles are correct.
For additional peace of mind, set up a low battery alert for your Smartzone connect smoke detectors. Next time you need to change your batteries, you’ll know in advance.
GIVE YOUR SMARTZONE ACCOUNT A SECURITY AUDIT
When you use smart technology to keep your home secure, it’s extra-important to prevent unauthorized access to your account and mobile app.
When you’re done tuning up your physical security, take a few minutes to double-check your digital home security too. Set up two-factor authentication and make sure all users and login’s are up to date.
LIGHT UP – LOCK UP PROJECT THOR FROM AN GARDA SIOCHANA
NEED A SMARTER HOME SECURITY SYSTEM?
Protecting your home with Smartzone is easy. Our Smartzone Pro’s will help you figure out what you need, and they’ll support you all the way.
Click here to connect with a Smartzone Pro in your area.